The Nunavut Roundtable for Poverty Reduction brings together those who share a common vision: our land, Nunavut, and each of our communities, free of poverty. Together we recognize the need for broad cross-sector collaboration to achieve that vision.
With support from the Government of Nunavut (GN) and Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. (NTI), the Roundtable is finalizing a five-year action plan for reducing poverty in Nunavut.
In 2010, the Government of Nunavut established the Nunavut Anti-Poverty Secretariat to lead the preparation and implementation of a poverty reduction strategy. In response, Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. announced that it would work closely with the Government of Nunavut to develop a poverty reduction strategy. The Government of Nunavut and Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. jointly supported a territory-wide participatory process that culminated in a poverty summit in November 2011. The result of this process is The Makimaniq Plan, a blueprint for a poverty reduction plan in Nunavut.
On April 1, 2013, the Government of Nunavut restructured its department and the Nunavut Anti-Poverty Secretariat became the Poverty Reduction Division within a new department, the Department of Family Services.
A new secretariat, co-chaired by the Poverty Reduction Division and the Department of Social and Cultural Development (NTI), serves as the backbone organization for the Roundtable.
The Roundtable aims to bring members together twice each year. Information on past Roundtable gatherings can be found at Roundtable Gatherings.
- Government of Nunavut
- Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated
- Regional Inuit Associations
- All Hamlets of Nunavut
- City of Iqaluit
- Nunavut Housing Corporation
- Nunavut Development Corporation
- Nunavut Arctic College
- Qaujigiartiit Health Research Centre
- Ilitaqsiniq - Nunavut Literacy Council
- Nunavummi Disabilities Makinnasuaqtiit Society
- Qulliit - Nunavut Status of Women Council
- Nunavut Law Society
- Nunavut Seniors Society
- Nunavut Economic Forum
- Pulaarvik Kablu Friendship Centre
- Iqaluit Community Tukisigiarvik Society
- Ilisaqsivik Society
- Arviat Community Wellness Centre
- Cambridge Bay Community Wellness Centre
- Embrace Life Council
- Nunavut Chamber of Commerce
- Nunavut Chamber of Mines
- Arctic Cooperatives Ltd.
- North West Company
Member organizations are asked to:
- Send Representatives to Roundtable Events
- Host Local Conversations within your organization and community about poverty and the Roundtable’s work.
Review and Respond to Annual Reports and Other Reports
- The reports are intended to support well-informed, territory-wide conversations about complex social issues and to coordinate a shared approach to poverty reduction.
Coordinate Actions and Share Lessons Learned
- Use the shared action plan to coordinate your work with others’ work. Talk about your challenges, successes, and lessons learned. By aligning our work and learning from each other, we can do more with our resources.